Sunday, August 30, 2015

First Impression: Twenty Again

Twenty Again
Profile:
Genre: Romance, Comedy
Episodes: 16
Broadcast Network: TvN
Air Time: Friday/Saturday
Broadcast Period: Aug. 28, 2015 - Oct. 17, 2015

Main Cast:
Choi Ji Woo as Ha No Ra
Lee Sang Yoon as Cha Hyun Suk
Choi Won Young as Kim Woo Chul
Kim Min Jae as Kim Min Soo

Synopsis:
The story revolves around a 38 year old housewife, H No Ra, who decided to go back to school and experience the college life for the first time. She spent the last two decades as a housewife after she got married and became a mother at the age of 19. Her 20 year old son, Kim Min Soo and his girlfriend, Oh Hye Mi are her classmates, while her husband, Kim Woo Chul and her first love, Cha Hyun Suk are professors in that college. 


Thoughts:
I have been looking forward to this drama for a while now, and while I didn't love the first two episodes as much as I was hoping I would they definitely didn't disappoint. After the first two episodes I feel like this drama has so much heart that it is going to channel to create a really funny and light hearted drama. I think dramaland has been pretty disappointing recently and after Oh My Ghostess ended I really questioned if this drama would be able to hold up to the hype it's been given, but if the drama continues to develop following the great introduction we should prepared for a good ride. 

I think the biggest thing I am looking forward to with this drama is seeing Ha No Ra's character development. Right now she is extremely timid but by going back to school I feel like she is going to break out of this housewife shell she has been hiding in for 20 years. We got some great glimps into her past and I can't wait to see that Ha No Ra who isn't afraid to stand up for herself and share her opinions. I think a big part of that character development is going to be initiated by Cha Hyun Suk who knows the woman she really is deep down. I am very excited to see that happen. 


I think the acting is pretty solid, it's really hard to say that the acting is really great or not after just watching 2 episodes. Because dramas can go down hill pretty fast, I have been burned by dramas one two many times recently that I am now very hesitant to praise a drama too much at first. But I really do feel confidant that the acting in the first two episodes will continue throughout the remaining episodes. Also Lee Sang Yoon is absolutely adorable and his character is the complete opposite of his last character in Lying Game, it was a little weird at first but I am completely in love with him. I do really like that I can connect to all the characters, well except Kim Hyun Suk, he's just an ass. But even though he is a complete ass he isn't an outright villain. It's the same thing with their son, he is a brat but I don't think he goes out of his way to be outright mean to his mother, he is a teenager who wants to be independent and his mom going to school with him hinders that plan. 


The theme of this drama really seems to be that it is never too late to discover yourself. This really actually hits close to home for me because my mother actually went back to school when I was a senior in high school. So we were in college together for three years. I definitely didn't have the same reaction that her son did but it was a little weird at first because college is supposed to be this time to break away from your parents and discover yourself but I think for the most part I was so proud that she wasn't scared to put herself out there. She was a housewife for 25 years and now she a special education teacher and is currently looking into masters programs. She is one of the greatest inspirations in my life and I hope that Kim Min So can eventually see that what his mother is doing isn't something to be embarrassed about, it is something to admire and learn from. So I am very excited to follow this drama and see all the characters grow and learn to really love each other. 



No comments:

Post a Comment